Friday, February 8, 2013

Interview with Noree Cosper, author of A Prescription for Delirium: Book 1 of the Van Helsing Organization













Ninety years ago, Gabriella di Luca promised to protect the family of her dying lover. She failed to keep that promise.  She was too far away to stop the devil that murdered the eldest Van Helsing son. Years later, Gabby learns the devil has resurfaced. She arrives in Hampton, TX, determined to stop the devil before it can lay a bloody hand on the remaining three brothers.
However, madness is spreading through Hampton. She suspects the devil is using this madness to test a drug which has a side effect of demonic possession.  Gabby rushes to end the source of the madness only to fall victim to it. For a woman cursed with eternal life, dying is no threat. However, Gabby must stop the devil's plot or risk losing her most precious possession: her mind.




What inspired you to write this book? 

The idea actually started out with a roleplaying game. I played Gabby. When the game ended I found I wanted to continue to play in her world. So, I started writing the books. 

What do you consider the most important part of a good story?

I would consider the most important part of the story to be the characters. The plot cannot be well played if you don’t feel anything for the characters.

How long have you been writing?

I played around with small stories since middle school. They mostly went unfinished. I seriously started writing about five years ago.

How did you get started writing?

I have always loved books and there were always stories in my head. There came a time when I needed to put them on paper.

Have you had anything else published?

I have two short stories. “Flower of Hell” published in the Paramourtal anthology and “Love and Honor” published in the Nocturnal Embers anthology.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I am a plotter definitely. I tried pantsing, but it ended up spiraling out of my control. Plot lines dropped while new ones started halfway through the book. Now it’s better for me to have an outline of where I want the story to go. Actually, my characters play a major role in this. I listen to how they would react and follow the natural progression.

What kind of music do you like to listen to while you write?

Rock mostly, but there are other elements that get added in. It depends on the story. Most have their own sound track. For Van Helsing Organization series in usually consists of Poets of the Fall, Lacuna Coil, Sixx A.M., Emilie Autumn, and Florance and the Machine with a few random songs mixed in.

Who is your favorite author?

Neil Gaiman would probably best fit that. Though it changes depending on the mood I’m in.

Read anything good lately?

Lots of things. Jim Buthcher’s “Cold Days” (If you haven’t read his Harry Dresden series I definitely recommend it.) Ilona Andrew Kate Daniels series is also really good. I’m currently reading Tim Powers “The Stress of Her regard” which is a spooky gothic fantasy.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Games. Video games, roleplay games also I love reading.

What advice would you give an author just starting out?

Keep writing. Even if that first book doesn’t work out. Write the next one. You get better with practice. Also, look for why the “rules” are there instead of blindly following them or disregarding them offhand.

What's your next project?

I’m currently working on the second in the Van Helsing Organization series, titled Omega Effect. One hint: angels.

 

Noree Cosper loves writing about magic in the modern world. While growing up in Texas she constantly searched for mystical elements in the mundane. She buried her nose in both fiction and books about Wicca, Religion, and Mythology. Every day became an adventure as she joined a group of role-players, acting out her fantasies of vampires, demons, and monsters living in the world.

She embraced her nerdom wholeheartedly.

Noree grew, but never left her love for fantasy and horror. Her dreams pushed her and her hand itched to write the visions she saw. So, with her fingers on the keys, she did what her heart had been telling her to do since childhood. She wrote.

Noree can be found stalking people on Twitter and Facebook.

Be sure to check out her website for news on her works and tidbits of information

She also likes to ramble about things magical and supernatural on her blog Trip the Eclipse.

Links:




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment